Mozzarella Cheese Disaster!

I tried following an instructables to make mozzarella. It looked fairly easy and I had all the ingredients so I set out to try.
I sterilized everything, I used the stainless pot, I had a thermometer, my milk was not Ultra-Pasteurized, and my cheese did not work.
I could not get it to solidify enough. The thickest it got was about like runny sour cream or thick yogurt.
In further reading on other sites (mainly the one with the cheese queen) I think I figured out what I did wrong. The highest temp that you can pasteurize milk used to be around 90 degrees, now it is closer to 105 degrees. Because of this when heating the milk it needs to be brought to a higher temperature when adding the rennet for the chemical reaction to work.

After much disappointment and online research I think I am ready to try again. I just need to buy more milk from the store. I will post my next try with pictures and update on my progress. I am going to sucessfully do this, I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment